Here is an easy to make healthy organic white sesame rice recipe which will delight your mood and works best as a replacement of boring everyday food.
Organic Sesame rice recipe is an easy and delicious rice recipe made with a mixture of organic ground sesame seeds, lentils and spices. It is also commonly known as Ellu Sadam in the Tamil language where ‘Ellu’ means sesame seeds and ‘Sadam’ means rice. South Indian households are famous for various rice recipes as rice is a staple food of this region.
Considered a superfood in India, Orco organic white sesame seeds are a powerhouse of nutrients and a generator of energy and heat for the body. It is rich in antioxidants which help you age slower and is filled with vitamins, these seeds aid bone, skin and digestive health. Roast them and add them to your favourite dishes for a crunchy experience and a mild, husky flavour. They can be fried, sprouted and soaked too, or can be used as is. However, you may need to eat significant amounts, a small handful per day, to reap all its health benefits.
Here is the recipe for organic white sesame rice recipe:
For cooking rice:
- 1 cup rice
- 1½ to 2 cups water or add as required
- ½ teaspoon Orco organic pink salt or add as required
For Ellu Podi (sesame seeds powder):
- 3 tablespoons Orco organic white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (husked and split black gram)
- 2 dry red chillies - broken and seeds removed
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
For tempering Ellu Sadam
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (you can use any other oil as per choice)
- ½ teaspoon Orco organic mustard seeds
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- Rinse 1 cup of rice a couple of times in water and then soak it for 20 minutes.
- Later, drain all the water and add the rice to a pressure cooker.
- Also, add ½ teaspoon Orco organic pink salt.
- Add 1½ to 2 cups water or add as required for regular white rice. If using brown rice, then add 3 cups water and for brown rice, you might need to soak for about 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook the rice for 2 whistles on medium flame. For brown rice, pressure cook for about 10 to 12 whistles on medium flame.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
- Take the rice out in a large bowl or plate and let the rice grains cool down completely.
For Ellu Podi:
- Heat a small pan. Keep the flame on a low and add 3 tablespoons of Orco organic white sesame seeds. You can also use Orco organic black sesame seeds or half-half of both white sesame seeds and black sesame seeds.
- Begin to roast the Orco organic white sesame seeds on a low flame while stirring non-stop.
- Roast the organic white sesame seeds till they start popping and changing its colour. When they have roasted well, empty them in a plate and keep aside. Let the roasted white sesame seeds cool down.
- In the same pan, add 1 teaspoon of urad dal (husked and split black gram).
- On a low flame while stirring often, begin to roast the urad dal.
- Roast the urad dal till they’ve turned light golden.
- Then add 2 dry red chillies (broken and seeds removed).
- Keep stirring while roasting the red chillies till they change colour. This may take some time and by this time the urad dal will also start to turn golden and aromatic.
- Make sure not to burn both and keep a check on the flame while stirring. If you want you can roast both urad dal and red chillies separately. Take them out after roasting in a separate bowl and let them cool.
- In a grinder, jar add the roasted urad dal and red chillies with a pinch of asafoetida.
- Grind into a semi-fine powder.
- Then add the roasted white sesame seeds. Using the pulse option on the grinder for some seconds, grind the sesame seeds into a fine powder. You can also grind it into a semi-fine powder if you like some texture in your dishes.
- You do not need to add any oil as the seeds would release some oil while grinding.
- You may go ahead and add the organic white sesame seeds mixture you’ve just prepared to the cooked rice.
- Mix well and take care if there are any lumps in the rice.
- Check the taste and if required, you can add some more Orco organic pink salt at this step. Mix well again.
For Ellu Sadam:
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil or any other cooking oil as per your wish. Add ½ teaspoon Orco organic mustard seeds.
- Let the Orco organic mustard seeds crackle.
- When the Orco organic mustard seeds start to crackle, then go ahead and add 8 to 10 curry leaves. Switch off the flame and stir properly.
- Add all the tempered ingredients to the rice mixture and mix well again.
- Serve this super nutritious and tasty Orco Organic White Sesame Rice or Ellu Sadam to your family and see the magic.
The brand ORCO not only conveys the need of a shift that we must make towards organic, but it also signifies purity and authenticity. Orco offers a wide range of spices and seeds including organic golden milk masala, organic cumin seeds, organic cinnamon powder, organic turmeric powder, organic cloves, and seeds like chia seeds, brown sesame seeds, flax seeds and a lot more. We have pledged to provide our customers with the best in the market, natural, chemical-free and tastiest organic spices.