Anything with a number of vegetables, pure organic spices and lots of water is extremely healthy and this anything is none other than this delicious sambhar recipe.
Sambhar is an everyday food in the southern part of India while it is a special dish in the north part of the country. Today, we bring you an amazing sambhar recipe which is an easy to prepare and will offer you the authentic taste of south India. Sambhar is the staple food first made in the state of Maharashtra when the Maratha ruler Shahuji experimented with toovar daal and tamarind pulp. Since, then it has become an amazing dish for the people of south India and it still highly popular. Let’s check out the ingredients that you would need for the sambhar.
Ingredients & Measurements:
- 1 Cup organic toor dal
- 1 lady finger, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp organic tamarind pulp (imli)
- 1 onion, chopped
- Organic salt to taste
- 2 brinjals, cubed
- 1 drumstick, cut into 4 pieces
For Sambar Masala:
- 6 to 8 organic red chillies
- 1 tbsp organic split black gram (urad daal)
- 1 tbsp organic coriander seeds
- 1 tsp organic turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp organic fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1/2 tsp organic asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp organic toovar daal (arhar)
- 1 tbsp organic split bengal gram (chana daal)
For the Tempering:
- 1 tsp organic mustard seeds
- 1/4 tbsp organic asafoetida (hing)
- 6 curry leaves
The ingredients for the sambhar recipe that we mentioned above are more than sufficient for a family of 4 . If you want to make even more, say for 8 people, you can double the measurements of all the ingredients and follow the steps below.
- First step is to prepare the sambhar masala.
- Dry roast all the ingredients for the sambhar masala. Then grind them to a fine powder in a blender.
- Wash and pressure cook the daal with 2 cups of water. Steam the vegetables separately and add into the daal.
- Then add the tamarind pulp, sambhar masala, salt and 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Prepare the tempering by dry roasting the mustard seeds until they crackle.
- Add curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add this to the sambhar and simmer for 15 minutes.
- This tasty and organic sambhar recipe is now ready.
- Serve the sambhar hot with rice, idli or dosa for best combination.
South Indian food is all time amazing and mouth-watering is well and this sambhar recipe will help you start learning the same. You will find more and more south Indian recipes that will easily aid you to change your daily taste. We, at ORCO have a wide range of spices that includes natural black salt, organic cinnamon powder, organic methi, organic sambhar masala, tandoori masala a lot more. We have pledged to provide our customers with the best in the market, natural, chemical-free and tastiest organic spices.