Healthy brown rice khichdi is really great for your health because it contains nutritious compounds, minerals along with healthy carbohydrates and proteins.
Khichdi, one of the most favourite Indian comfort foods because, well is it easy to cook. This healthy brown rice khichdi recipe is a super light and easy to digest dish made with brown rice and moong dal. Its nutritious, healthy and light on the tummy, serve this comfort food with curd, raita or papad.
One of the simplest and easy khichdi recipes can be made with just a few ingredients like ghee, Orco organic cumin seeds and Orco organic turmeric powder, all of these ingredients are great for detoxifying the body and they also help with boosting the immune system. The taste of healthy brown rice khichdi can be further elevated by adding a few more spices like Orco organic ginger powder, Orco organic black pepper powder, asafoetida (Hing) etc.
This brown rice khichdi recipe is tasteful and full of flavour. If you ask your mother or grandmother, you’ll get to know about so many different versions of a simple comfort dish like khichdi actually exist.
Nutrition Facts of Healthy Brown Rice Khichdi:
- Calories: 482kcal
- Carbohydrates: 73g
- Protein: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Sodium: 632mg
- Potassium: 177mg
- Fibre: 7g
- Vitamin A: 326IU
- Vitamin B: 2mg
- Calcium: 65mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Magnesium: 25mg
- Phosphorus: 72mg
- Zinc: 1mg
Ingredients List (For a serving of 2):
For soaking lentils and brown rice:
- ½ cup moong dal (split and husked moong lentils)
- ½ cup brown rice
- water - as required
- 2 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter) or oil
- 1 teaspoon Orco Organic Cumin seeds
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon chopped green chillies or 1 small green chilli
- ¼ teaspoon Orco Organic Ginger powder
- ¼ teaspoon Orco Organic Turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon Orco Organic Garam Masala powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (Hing)
- 5 cups water
- Orco Organic Pink salt as required
Soaking brown rice and lentils:
- Rinse and wash moong lentils and brown rice together.
- Soak both brown rice and lentils for 30 minutes in water.
- After 30 minutes, drain all the water and set aside.
Sautéing onions, tomatoes, spices:
- Heat ghee or oil in pressure cooker. Add Orco Organic Cumin seeds. Once the cumin starts to splutter, you can add the onions.
- Sauté onions until they are translucent.
- Once the onions become translucent, you may go ahead and add tomatoes, green chilli and Orco Organic ginger powder.
- Mix and add Orco Organic Turmeric powder and asafoetida. Mix again and sauté until the tomatoes softens.
- Add the brown rice and moong dal lentils to the pressure cooker.
- Stir and sauté for a minute. Add water and season with Orco Organic pink salt as required.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
For Cooking Brown Rice Khichdi:
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker tightly and cook on a high heat for about 7 to 8 whistles or 8 to 9 minutes on medium-high to high heat.
- Switch off the stove and let all the ingredients cook inside. Let the pressure cooker cool down naturally.
- Once the pressure cooker has cooled down and there is no pressure in the cooker, carefully open the lid and check the consistency of the khichdi. If the khichdi looks too thick then you can add some hot water and mix everything together.
- You can keep the pressure cooker on sim or low heat for a few minutes until you get the khichdi to the right consistency.
- The consistency of khichdi can further be adjusted as per your choice by adding less or more water. Some people prefer thick while some prefer thin consistency.
- While serving your healthy Brown Rice Khichdi drizzle some ghee on top for a delicious taste.
- You may also serve this healthy brown rice khichdi hot or warm with curd or raita and accompany it with salad on the side. The brown rice khichdi will also taste amazing with papad.
Serving suggestions for Brown Rice Khichdi:
- The sides that pair amazing and make this khichdi recipe a satisfying complete meal are curd, raita, papad, pickle or ghee.
- You can also serve it with a salad. This khichdi recipe can also be enjoyed with a drizzle of some lemon juice and served with finely chopped vegetable salad.
- We would suggest you eat and serve the brown rice khichdi fresh as it can become a little dry after few hours or next morning.
- If somehow you do end up with leftovers, you can store the khichdi in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to one day and can be reheated.
- To reheat the khichdi dish, you can use a saucepan and add some water to adjust the consistency a bit and serve.
Rice, grains and millets: This recipe can also be cooked with white rice as it is common and widely used to make khichdi. There are other khichdi variations that can be made with millets, oats and even cracked wheat (dalia).
Spices: For a rich flavour, spices like tej patta, Orco Organic cloves, Orco Organic cinnamon powder, Orco Organic black pepper powder and Orco Organic green cardamom can also be added as per tastes and preferences.
Vegan and Gluten-free: To make vegan and gluten-free healthy brown rice khichdi versions, you can use a neutral oil and skip asafoetida (hing).
The brand ORCO not only conveys the need of a shift that we must make towards organic, but it also signifies purity and authenticity. Orco offers a wide range of spices and seeds including golden milk masala, organic methi, organic paneer butter masala, organic sambhar masala and seeds like flax seeds, pumpkin seeds and a lot more. We have pledged to provide our customers with the best in the market, natural, chemical-free and tastiest organic spices.