Beetroot is usually eaten as a salad but here we brought you an amazing beetroot paratha recipe to have in your next breakfast for a change of taste.
Parathas, a staple diet in most north Indian households are popularly and lovingly consumed in the form of breakfast and/or other meals of the day. However, during recent times, various health experts and nutritionists have expressed their thoughts about Parathas being unhealthy and calorie-heavy; hence recommending a control over their consumption.
Well, what if we told you that with today’s recipe you can heartily eat your parathas guilt-free?
Beetroot Paratha recipe is one such paratha that will provide you with both a flavourful taste, soul-fulfilment as well as the nutrients and bio-active compounds you need for your body.
But what exactly is Beetroot Paratha Recipe?
Traditional Indian flatbread (whole wheat) when stuffed with pre-cooked beetroot filling makes for this lip-smacking circle of happiness.
It is usually served with yoghurt or raita; or with a dash of your favourite pickle or chutney on the side; either way this paratha will serve you both nutrients and taste in one plate.
INGREDIENTS (for two servings):
FOR PARATHA DOUGH
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ - ⅔ cup water (add as required)
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp salt
FOR PARATHA STUFFING
- 3-4 beetroots, grated
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp ORCO Himalayan Pink Salt
- ½ tsp ORCO organic red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon ORCO organic garam masala powder
- 1 tsp anardana (dry pomegranate) powder
- 1 tsp amchur (dry mango) Powder
- 1 tsp oil
- 1- 2 green chilies, finely chopped (optional)
- Chaat masala to sprinkle (optional)
- To knead the dough, procure and mix 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 2 tsp oil and ½ tsp salt in an open bowl.
- Start by adding only ½ cup of water and slowly add more (as per requirement) as you knead.
- Knead until the dough is smooth and its texture is consistent. Cover the dough and keep aside.
- Procure 4 fresh beetroots. Rinse thoroughly, peel and grate into finely.
- To make the stuffing, heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and then add the finely chopped onion & grated beetroot.
- On a medium flame, cook/sauté for 4 to 5 minutes and then add the following spices (for best taste, use ORCO organic spices) – 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp garam masala, ½ tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp amchur powder, 1 tsp anardana powder.
- Cover the filling the keep aside.
- Procure a normal sized ball from the dough. Dab it with some dry whole wheat flour and flatten with a rolling pin. Flatten till comparatively thin.
- Fetch the beetroot filling and place 2-3 tbsp in the centre.
- Fold the dough into the centre from all sides by making pleats. (Like you do in a normal stuffed paratha)
- Press the pleats down to cover the filling. The beetroot filling should be well wrapped and hidden inside the flour dough.
- Dough covers the filling completely from all sides to result in a ball shape again.
- Dab some more dry flour and using the rolling pin, flatten again. The dry flour ensures non-stickiness.
- While flattening, keep in mind that the stuffing/filling should not leak out of the dough- hence, roll gently with light hands. Roll like a normal stuffed paratha.
- Place the rolled paratha on a hot tawa. When cooked partially on one side (side A); flip it over with a spatula.
- When cooked partially again on the other side (side B), get ready to flip again- this time, add some ghee/oil for a delicious roast.
- Let the side A cook properly.
- Next, put some oil/ghee on side B and flip once again.
- The Paratha should start to puff up. Make sure that the paratha is evenly cooked by pressing down the paratha edges with the spatula.
- Your Beetroot Paratha Recipe is ready. Optionally, sprinkle some chaat masala and serve hot!
The brand ORCO not only conveys the need of a shift that we must make towards organic, but it also signifies purity and authenticity. Orco offers a wide range of spices and seeds including golden milk masala, organic methi, organic shahi paneer masala, organic white sesame seeds, organic kitchen king masala and seeds like chia seeds, pumpkin seeds and a lot more. We have pledged to provide our customers with the best in the market, natural, chemical-free and tastiest organic spices.